Thursday, September 25, 2014

23 Weeks Pregnant and Sick

Well, it happened. I got sick. It started with a scratchy throat at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, and ended with a sore throat, body aches and a lot of nose blowing come Wednesday.

Being sick while pregnant was one of my fears when starting this new journey. I hope this is the only time I'm sick while pregnant because on top of feeling horrible, I worry constantly if my baby is okay throughout the illness.

I watched my temperature all day yesterday and it didn't get any higher than 100 degrees. If it hit 101, I was going to call the doctor. I did call the nurse earlier yesterday, just to see what medications they would allow me to take. They said I could take robitussin or sudafed. Neither of which I am willing to take, because I am too paranoid about medication harming my baby. It's good to know, though, that the medication is doctor approved should I get ill enough to need it. How ill is too ill in my book? I don't know, but I wasn't there yesterday.

I am feeling better today. I didn't use any medication to get better, and for that I am glad. I just used vitamin C, a lot of rest and a bunch of fluids. I'm talking 120 ounces of water, 4 cups of tea with honey, and two gatorades. Needless to say, with the amount of fluids I was drinking, and the amount of sneezing and coughing I was doing, I have learned that even though you may not feel like you need to pee, it's bound to happen with a baby laying on your bladder in that situation. Change of pants required, twice. Oh the joys of pregnancy.

When I say that I rested to get better, I mean I was couch and bed bound for 36 hours straight with the exception of going to the bathroom, a quick hot shower, and to get food and fluid refills. I was not messing around.

I'm still not 100% today, but I am at about 80%. My body aches, my sinuses are sore / a little congested, and I'm just plain tired. I'm back to work and keeping up with the fluids and vitamins. Having a desk job kind of takes care of the "resting" for the most part, too.

I had a break from my job today to go to an OB appointment. We got to see our baby, again! That made my worries melt away, as it always does. I saw her flapping her hands and her jaw. She looked like she was talking. Nick said that it looked like she was blowing bubbles. He calls her a little jitter bug. She is always bouncing around, or waving her hands and feet.

23 weeks

Today, her foot was covering her face. She is so funny! She already has me laughing. The only reason for today's ultrasound was to check to see if she had any issues with her lips and nose. So of course she covered that area with her foot. Eventually, we were able to see what we needed to and all is perfectly fine! My favorite part was watching her move around in there. She seems happy and comfortable for now! Still a lot of room in there for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment