Monday, February 2, 2015

Piper's Birth Story

I was scheduled for an induction at 6 a.m. on Wednesday, January 21, 2015. Piper Grace was born at 6:30 p.m. She weighed 9 lbs. 6 oz. and was 21 1/2 inches long.

My husband and I woke up at 4 a.m. that morning. We were so happy as we got ready for the absolute best and most amazing day of our lives.

We arrived at the hospital around 5:45 a.m. I felt an amazing sense of calm come over me as I changed into the hospital gown and got settled in to the labor and delivery suite. I was relieved that we were finally here; living in the moments that would bring our daughter into this world.

My mom arrived around 7:00 a.m. My husband and my mom stayed in the labor and delivery suite with me all throughout my labor. They would take turns going out to the waiting room, giving updates to those patiently waiting for our baby girl to arrive. The waiting room crew included Nick's mom, Nick's dad, my dad, my step-mom, my grandma, my nana, and my sisters.

The medication for induction wasn't administered until about 8:30 a.m. and I was about 2 cm dilated at that time. The medication was slowly increased as time went on, and labor wasn't all that bad until early afternoon when my water was ruptured.

The doctor ruptured my water at around 1:00 p.m. I'd say it was around 4:00 p.m. when I decided that I would opt for an epidural. I had been at the max amount pitocin (and then some) since about 1:00 p.m. and had only progressed to about 5 cm. This was going to take a while.

After I got my epidural, the doctor informed me that the next time she came in to check, we would have to begin the discussion of a c-section if I didn't continue to progress.

I wanted a natural birth, but if the doctor was to recommend a c-section, I think it would have been hard to say no because she obviously would know what's more safe, medically. So, I prayed on it.

I prayed that God would give me a sign as to what to do. Should I continue to labor (which could take another 18+ hours) or should I agree to the doctors recommendation for a c-section?

Not even 15 minutes later, my prayers were answered in the biggest scare of my entire life. I still can't even think about this without getting emotional.

As I was having an intense contraction, a rush of nurses and doctors came to my side. In a panic, one of the nurses told me to turn on my side immediately, and began to help me. I asked her what was going on, and she said that the baby's heart rate had dropped and I needed to move, now. At that point I could hear my baby's heart rate on the monitor, it was barely beeping, unlike the constant it was before. I tried to kept myself as calm as I could (while going through a contraction) and followed her instructions despite the pain. My husband said that something was administered into my IV and another nurse gave me an oxygen mask.

Turning on my left side made no change, so she had me turn to my right side. It was getting harder to stay calm, then. The baby's heart rate was only at 20 bpm, whereas it use to average around 140-150 bpm. My heart felt like it had stopped and it seemed like forever before baby's heart rate came back up. Once my baby was stable again, mom and husband came to my side, and I began to cry. It was so hard to stay calm after the trauma I had just gone through, but I tried my best for my baby's sake.

The doctor told me that we were going to c-section because this baby needed to come out now. Her head was stuck and the cord had been pinched. This baby was not safely coming out naturally. I couldn't have agreed more for the c-section. At that point, I wanted my baby here and safe as soon as possible.

A nurse threw scrubs at my husband, and he got changed quickly. I was wheeled away to the operating room and my husband had to wait for me to be prepped. During that time, I asked how long before I would see my baby; they said within the hour. I was relieved.

After I was prepped for surgery, my husband came to my side. His eyes were filled with worry and concern, yet he held my arm in reassurance that it was going to be alright. I told the anesthesiologist that I felt as if I couldn't breath. He told me that it was because I couldn't feel my chest moving up and down. This was true, I was numb.

After a few minutes of waiting, I starred at my husband and just kept saying in a weak voice, "I want my baby, I want my baby, I want my baby." I had to have said it about 50 times. I said it until she arrived, until I heard those beautiful first cries. I know people say this all the time, but it was truly the best sound in the entire world. My baby was here, she was breathing, she was safe.

The doctor asked us if we wanted to see her, and without hesitation we said yes. She held her over the curtain above us, and we saw our beautiful baby girl. It was Piper!

Piper had beautiful dark hair, and full cheeks. Her cries were strong, and music to our ears. Once she was taken back to be weighed, I looked at my husband and cried "that's our baby, that's our baby". He had tears in his eyes, and was choked up saying, "yes, yes." He was smiling, and the worry in his eyes was gone. I felt a sense of relief like never before.

I will never forget when I first saw my husband hold our Piper Grace. The look he gave her will be forever etched into my mind. I had never seen him more happy, more proud, more in love. He held her face next to mine, and I examined her. She was perfect.

The hardest part of the c-section was not the physical pain. Physically, it was painless. The real pain was in my heart, as I was unable to touch Piper because I was strapped down. I didn't get to hold my baby until two hours later, in the recovery room. That was mild torture. However, I was able to rest assured that she was safe as my husband was with her. He stayed by her side the entire time.

I am told that he took her out into the waiting room and showed her to our family that had been patiently waiting for her arrival. I can only imagine how wonderful of an experience that was for them all. After that, my husband took Piper to the nursery. He said that Piper held his finger as they cleaned and weighed her.

After my husband left the operating room with Piper, I remember the doctor saying that this was the longest c-section she had ever done. It took a long time because I had lost a lot of blood. I tried to nap during this part, and it made the time pass more quickly. In the recovery room, I remember being so cold and thirsty. They gave me ice chips and a heating blanket.

Finally, my husband joined me in the recovery suite with Piper. She layed on my chest and I put her under the heating blanket with me. She seemed to love it! I also breastfed her, and she was a natural.

During those moments, I had my baby on my chest, my husband by my side, and I was officially the happiest girl in the world.

Piper was born on a Wednesday and we were released from the hospital on Saturday. My husband took such good care of me and our baby during our hospital stay. We are the two luckiest ladies in the world and my husband and I are so blessed to be the parents of Piper Grace.


  1. Congratulations new family!! Piper is as beautiful as her Mommy :) Thank you God for keeping her safe and healthy!! I am so happy for you guys <3

  2. Congratulations! I am so glad that things went well and that you had a healthy baby girl. She is precious. I hope you're having a good recovery. I never had to have a c section but imagine that's not exactly an easy recovery.

  3. She is absolutely beautiful!!! I've been following your blog for a couple years now and I'm so happy for you!!!